Property Insurance FAQ

All home insurance coverage is the same

The kind of coverage you get depends on your insurer and policy. There are normally two types of coverage – Insured Perils and All Risks. Regular insured perils are:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Impact by road vehicles
  • Bursting or overflowing of water tanks or pipes
  • Theft by violent or forcible entry
  • Specified natural disasters such as floods, windstorms, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions
  • Riots and strikes

Any loss or damage that is not caused by the above is not covered. Offering a wider but more expensive cover is the all risks policy. Although it includes accidental damage, it can have a longer exclusion list as compared to an insured perils policy, despite being termed “all risks”.