(1) What if I have a dispute with my insurer? 


If you feel you have been treated unfairly by your insurer, you should lodge a complaint directly with the insurer, and provide the insurer with your details (name, contact numbers, etc.), the specific nature of your complaint and supporting documents.

The insurer should acknowledge your complaint within 7 business days, and if necessary, request additional information from you within 7 business days of the date of your complaint.

Depending on the nature of your complaint, the insurer may need more time to attend to it. If so, the insurer should contact you and update you on the progress within 15 business days of your last communication, before proceeding to resolve the problem.

If you have taken these steps and still feel the response is not satisfactory, or if there is no response within the timeframes stated above, you should then appeal to the Chief Executive of the insurer in writing. You can expect a response to this within 15 business days.

Finally, if you are still unsatisfied after going through these channels, you can contact the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre (FIDReC). You must do so within 6 months of your insurers' final reply to you. FIDReC is an independent institution, which aims to provide consumers with a one-stop avenue for resolving disputes in the banking, insurance and capital market sectors. FIDReC does so by offering mediation and adjudication services.

Filing a complaint is simple and free of charge. You may lodge your complaint in person, or by fax, post or email. If you have any queries or difficulties in lodging the complaint, you may contact FIDReC at 6327 8878 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Once your complaint is lodged, FIDReC's Case Manager will verify if the dispute falls within FIDReC's jurisdiction and will reach out to you should any further information be required.

For more information, please visit www.fidrec.com.sg.

FIDReC Contact Centre

36 Robinson Centre 
#15-01, City House 
Singapore 068877

Tel: 6327 8878 
Fax: 6327 8488
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Opening Hours:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays  :   9.00 am to 6.00 pm 
Tuesdays and Thursdays             :   9.00 am to 7.30 pm (Prior appointments are required after 6.00 pm) 


(2) If I have a dispute with the third party insurer on the question of liability and quantum of settlement amount, who can help me to resolve the dispute?


You can approach FIDReC. In addition to handling insurance disputes involving claims between insureds and their insurers, FIDReC also handles motor third-party property damage claims of up to S$100,000.

For more information on the jurisdiction of FIDReC,  please visit www.fidrec.com.sg.